Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Committee for Two States: Palestine alongside Israel
Download the statement as pdf here.
The Committee for 2 States:
Israel Out of the Occupied Territories!
We are calling on trade unionists and other campaigners to
support the statement below, to work with the Committee for 2 States and to raise the demand for “Two states: Israel out of the occupied territories” within your own organisations.
Please put your name to the statement, take a copy of the motion passed by the Communication Workers Union National Executive for your own union/organisation and join the Committee for 2 States.
Please sign the statement and return it to the Committee for 2 States at: P.O. Box 823, London SE15 4NA. 07950 978 083. Email email@example.com.
• We stand together in opposition to the brutality of the Israeli occupation in the West Bank.
• We oppose the destruction of political and economic life in the Occupied Territories.
• We are for the immediate withdrawal of the Israeli state from the Occupied Territories.
• We also oppose the targeting and killing of innocent Israeli citizens by Palestinian activists.
• We oppose the Islamist suicide bombers who kill themselves and Jewish civilians; politically we oppose Hamas and Islamic Jihad who are fighting not just against Israeli occupation, but for the destruction of Israel and the creation of a theocratic state.
• We are for the creation of a fully independent Palestinian state - on the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem - alongside Israel.
• We for a generous Israeli settlement with Palestinian refugees - a mutually agreed, compromise between the two peoples.
• We are against a view common on the British left which attempts to present a “reasonable” case for the destruction of Israel - by the creation of a single (Arab) “democratic secular state”.
• Such a state could only be created by the forcible subjugation of the Israeli Jews. This is neither desirable, nor reasonable.
• A coming together of nations - in the future a democratic federation across the whole region - is to be desired. But such a relationship can only happen through the voluntary agreement of the peoples involved - i.e. on the basis of recognising that the various peoples have the right to their own states and the right not to be forcibly incorporated into another state.
• We are for two states for the two peoples because this is the best, most equitable, most democratic solution possible. It is the only conceivable arrangement which could bring to an end the Israeli Jewish-Palestinian Arab conflict.
• We are for peace, reconciliation and compromise. We oppose chauvinism and bigotry.
• We stand against anti-semitism and anti-Muslim hatred.
Join our Committee. Help us.
This resolution was passed at the Communications Workers Union National Executive on 25 April 2002.
Please put this motion to your union/organisation (feel free to adapt it) and let the Committee for 2 States know.
• ... We are for the immediate withdrawal of the Israeli state from the Occupied Territories.
• Whilst we understand the Palestinians are in a desperate situation and recognise that they have the right to defend themselves in the face of the IDF onslaught - we oppose the Islamist suicide bombers who kill themselves and Jewish civilians.
• We oppose Hamas and Islamic Jihad who are fighting not just against Israel occupation, but for the destruction of Israel and the creation of a theocratic states.
• We support a fully independent Palestinian state on the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem alongside Israel. Israel should come to a generous settlement with the Palestinian refugees that is a true compromise and can be mutually agreed.
• We believe that acknowledging that both Israel and Palestinian people have the right to their own state is a way to help bring an end to the conflict.
• We would support a socialist democratic federation across the whole region that recognised that various people have the rights to their own states. This could only work with the voluntary agreement of the peoples involved.
• The General Secretary should communicate these views to the Israeli Embassy in London and to representative of the Palestinian Authority.
Committee for 2 States. Please sign the statement and return it to us at P O Box 823, London SE15 4NA. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read the rest of this article!